As two web hosts that have been specialized in Windows hosting since the inception, SeekDotNet and WinHost are both good in satisfying customers’ needs. They provide affordable Windows hosting plans, and support many of the latest Microsoft technologies that you may need.
In this post, we will compare the two Windows hosting providers from the essential aspects including features, reliability, technical support and price, so that you can learn more about them and make you own choice. To make the comparison clearer, we are going to present it by analyzing the similarities as well as differences.
All the information is collected from reliable sources like user reviews, the official information and the stats in our monitoring system.
What Are Common Between SeekDotNet and WinHost
As the service reliability is a top concern for choosing a hosting service, SeekDotNet and WinHost have been doing well by offering 99.9% uptime. Besides, they provide some other good things such as a refund guarantee and rich features.
The support for various developer-friendly features
To meet more people’s needs and to make their servers easy-to-use, SeekDotNet and WinHost have installed many useful software on their shared servers. For example, the following things are available, which is enough for most normal users and developers.
- A simple web-based control panel which enables you to control every aspect, such as installing scripts, creating databases and adding domains.
- ASP.NET 5/4.6, Classic ASP, Silverlight, WebMatrix, Visual Studio, PHP, Perl, and CGI.
- SeekDotNet: Windows Server 2012 R2 with IIS 8.5, and SQL Server 2012/2008.
- WinHost: Windows Server 2012/2008 with IIS 8/7, SQL Server 2016/2014/2012/2008R2/2008, and ASP.NET MVC 6/5/4/3/2/1.
Realizing the importance of the service availability, WinHost has paid much attention to the uptime of its Windows hosting services, and it now promises 99.9% uptime for all users. SeekDotNet doesn’t provide any promise, but according to the uptime monitoring, it also does well.
We have found several reasons for the two web hosts’ excellence in uptime, including:
- Their servers are located in reliable data centers which are equipped with UPS power system and the first-rate security system.
- They supply redundant networks to deal with latency and traffic peaks
- Their servers and networks are under constant monitoring.
If you need some statistics, then read WinHost uptime in below.
Both SeekDotNet and WinHost pack a 30-day refund guarantee in all their Windows hosting plans. If you have made a purchase but feel unsatisfied about anything later, you can cancel your account within the 30 days of signup and then ask for a full refund easily. But note that domain names are non-refundable.
What Are the Different Things?
Despite the similarities analyzed above, there are indeed many differences between SeekDotNet and WinHost, for example, the price, server resources and speed. Based on our comparisons of the two web hosts, we find that those differences make WinHost a superior choice over SeekDotNet. Below are the details.
The Windows hosting plans & prices
SeekDotNet provides 4 Windows hosting plans. Windows Economy and Windows Business, which support a single domain, come with cheap prices – $0.99/mo and $2.99/mo. The other two multi-domain plans are priced at $7.99/mo and $19.99/mo.
Comparatively, WinHost offers 3 plans. These plans are regularly priced from $4.95/mo, $9.95/mo and $19.95/mo, while they are now discounted 20%, starting at $3.95/mo only. A notable thing is that all these plans include free assisted migration. If you have to transfer a website to WinHost, the experts of the company can do that for you.
WinHost provides more features
SeekDotNet offers an extremely cheap $0.99/mo plan to attract customers, but in fact, this plan is of no value since it doesn’t include any database, and there is only 1 GB disk space.
According to our comparison, WinHost does much better in features although the price is a little higher. You can see why from the following list.
- SeekDotNet Windows Professional Plan: $7.99/mo, including 5 hosted domains, 30 GB disk space, 100 GB bandwidth, 5 MSSQL databases and 5 FTP accounts.
- WinHost Max Plan: $7.95/mo, including unlimited hosted domains, disk space, bandwidth, MSSQL database, email accounts and 10 FTP accounts.
WinHost is faster
SeekDotNet has multiple server locations in the US, the UK, Australia, Singapore and Europe, while WinHost data center is located inside the US. It seems that the former should provide better speed for most locations around the world, but if your target audience is in the US, the latter actually wins.
With Dell servers, fast networks and around-the-clock system monitoring, WinHost keeps the server response time under 400ms, and the page loads less than 3 seconds, which is far better than the over 700ms response time of SeekDotNet. Below is the evidence.
WinHost offers more responsive support
SeekDotNet provides after-sale support through the helpdesk and live chat. If you have a technical issue, you can request help by sending a chat message, or opening a support ticket in the helpdesk.
WinHost, however, mainly accepts support requests from the ticket system which is available at any time. The web-based support portal makes it easy to submit and view tickets.
Here are the reasons why we say WinHost beats its competitor in technical support.
- WinHost replies each ticket in a short time which averages less than 2 hours, but receiving a reply from SeekDotNet needs 4 hours or longer.
- WinHost has been maintaining a knowledgebase in which you can get the solutions to hundreds of simple hosting issues, for example, email setup, website setup and IIS.
- The company owns a community forum which is open to all customers and potential users. So far there are over 4,500 members. SeekDotNet doesn’t offer these things.
Conclusion – WinHost Is the Better Choice
Both SeekDotNet and WinHost have affordable Windows hosting plans and most of the needed features, but the latter is indeed the better hosting option for most people due to the cost-effectiveness, high performance and responsive support.
In addition, WinHost actually has been keeping a much higher satisfaction rate, which you can check below. Since there is a refund guarantee, trying WinHost services is risk-free.